Digisam – a secretariat for National coordination of digitisation, digital preservation and digital access to cultural heritage.
In order to coordinate the continued development work on digitisation issues, and to coordinate the activities connected to the National Digital strategy within the timeframe of 2012-2015, the government has established a coordinating secretariat for digitisation, digital preservation and digital access to the cultural heritage – Digisam.
Digisam started its work in the autumn of 2011 and is organised as a department at the Swedish National Archives. The main task is to promote the achievement of the objectives of the national strategy for digitisation. General guidelines, proposals for division of responsibility and how an integrated digital information management and a coordinated and cost-effective preservation should be designed are also key issues for Digisam to handle.
Digisam is therefore assigned the role of a broad resource for questions about digitisation, digital preservation and digital accessibility. Digisam will:
- Monitor and evaluate the institutions’ work within the task of the national strategy.
- Work with issues of standards and systems for digital preservation.
- Conduct business intelligence, collect and disseminate current research in the field of digitisation and otherwise support authorities and institutions.
- Establish and arrange contacts with relevant organisations and private actors.
- Work with and inform the participating authorities and institutions on the relevant issues of intellectual property rights.
- Participate in working groups within the EU dealing with issues of digitisation.
- Explore possibilities for EU funding.
- Provide support with communication, seminar and training courses to participating agencies and institutions.
Digisam’s mission is focused on the state authorities and institutions, but the goal is that the results of the work will be beneficial and useful for anyone working with digitisation and the use of digital cultural heritage information. Therefore Digisam invite representatives from the private sector and civil society with an interest and involvement in digitisation issues to participate in the work.
On this website, we will reflect on the progress of the work. We hope to meet you here and in many other forums! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
We who work at Digisam are: Rolf Källman, Head of Department, Johanna Berg and Sanja Halling, Senior Advisors, Susanne Danelius, Webmaster, Catharina Ekdahl, Legal Advisor and Moa Ranung, Project Coordinator.
From the left: Catharina Ekdahl, Johanna Berg, Rolf Källman, Sanja Halling, Susanne Danelius, Moa Ranung. Photograph by: Jenny Odell.